The SimCity series is a video game series dedicated to open-ended city-building and urban simulation. It was created by Will Wright at Maxis and published its first game in the series in 1989. The series continues to be released under the publisher Electronic Arts after Maxis was bought out by EA in 1997.
SimCity has had unprecedented success and is considered by many to be the founder of the modern city-builder genre among PC games, and is also considered to be the inspiration for many other games, such as the Tropico and Cities XL series, as well as the Facebook game, CityVille.
List of games
Note: Main series games are labeled in bold and italics, while spin-off games, remakes, remasters, expansion and compilation packs are labeled in italics.
- SimCity (1989 PC, 1991 SNES, 2007 Wii Virtual Console)
- SimCity Classic (1993 PC, enhanced version with 16-bit graphics)
- SimCity: Deluxe Edition (1996 PC, or SimCity for Windows 95, not the original DOS version)
- SimCity 2000 (1993 PC, 1995 SNES, PS1, SegaSaturn, 1997 N64, 2003 GBA)
- SimFarm (1993 PC)
- SimTown (1994 PC; known as SimCity Jr. for the Super Famicom release in Japan)
- SimCopter (1996 PC)
- Streets of SimCity (1997 PC)
- SimCity 3000 (1999 PC)
- SimCity 4 (2003 PC/Mac)
- SimCity 4: Rush Hour (2003 PC/Mac, expansion pack)
- SimCity Societies (2007 PC)
- SimCity Societies: Destinations (2008 PC, expansion pack)
- SimCity Creator (2008 Wii)
- SimCity Creator (DS) (2008 DS, called SimCity DS 2 in Japan)
- SimCity Social (2012 PC/Facebook)
- SimCity (2013 PC/Mac)
- SimCity: Cities of Tomorrow (2013 PC/Mac, expansion pack)
- SimCity BuildIt (2014, iOS/Android)