Disasters are events that happen in every SimCity game which cause destruction and havoc in a city. Most disasters are initiated by the mayor, and do not occur naturally in game, although some disasters, such as fires, will occur randomly during gameplay. Among the most common are:
- Big lizard - This disaster will cause a giant lizard to come out of the ground, walk to the nearest garbage dump, eat the garbage, then tunnel back under the ground (only in SimCity 2013).
- Earthquake - Rumbles the ground resulting in buildings collapsing.
- Fire - Usually a very minor disaster, and may occur randomly in game.
- Meteor Shower - Meteors fall out of the sky, burning up the city it lands in.
- Robot Attack - A robot flys into the city and walks around crushing buildings and firing lasers.
- Tornado - A devastating tornado will touch down and wreak havoc on your city.
- Zombie attack - There is a zombie outbreak in your hospital and zombies attack your city until daybreak.